Tuesday, February 9, 2010

An invitation to blog

An invitation to blog

It all started when a close friend, having nothing to do, got this fiendish idea and decided to launch a new site. But this was not all. He had added a blogging feature to it, to give free rein to the creative pursuits of its members.

Though talkative and busy he was, unusually, at a loss of words and so unable to dole out his usual dose of gibberish. Being familiar with his penchant for the abstruse, I shuddered at the havoc his words could wreak upon the unsuspecting and hapless masses. I guess he is aware of this fact as well.

Ever fond of deriding us, his unenlightened earthly compatriots, I got a real surprise when he of the unearthly species came slinking up to me.

Being a bit bashful to talk about it upfront, he pinged me when I was online on google.

“ Eh.. hi!.. hw r u?”- asked he, suddenly concerned with my well-being.

“Um ok… u?” – I returned the courtesy.

“ Me well as well.”- he hemmed and hawed.

Him-“ Say.. hvnt read a line by u all these days… hw is ur blog cmng along?”

Me-“Yeah, really lacking in time… and ideas”

I was surprised at his sudden interest in my doodling.

But still, I wanted to know the catch, so decided to play up to him his own game.

Him- “ Say…”

Me- “ Say on…”

“ I have created a blog site. Would you care to write in there?”- he blurted.

“ Me?”, “ Write in your blog?”- I was aghast.

Him- “Yep. Am giving u the chance to be my co-blogger.”

I guess he was a bit hurt, having imagined me to gush over his offer and babble like the babbling brook. And in my heart oh hearts,I was.

Little known, struggling and and an aspiring writer that I am, I don’t pick and choose, taking whatever that could come my way-letters to the customers, notes to bosses, interdepartmental communication. Though oft and many, they offer little scope for innovation. The most creative liberty one can take is to choose between “Yours truly” and “Yours faithfully”.

This was an honour indeed. But I decided to play it cool and asked for my rights.

“What will be my stipend?”- asked I, greed in my eyes.

“Ha!”- laughed he who must not be named.

“You asking me for a stipend?”

(You sorry excuse for a writer- is what he thought)

“Why… this is your own blog. You are our star content provider.”-is what he said.

“Well.. okay….If u insist.” – said I, accepting his commission.

“ But remember-no objectionable stuff to be posted there. No sleazy, obscene stuff, no political statements and no unparliamentary language.”- said he gravely.

So much for creative liberty. Some people take the fun out of everything.

Appreciation creates its own kind of slaves. The more of it one gets, the more one wants. So, for the sake of my 15 seconds of fame, I pushed myself to a punishing schedule.trying to live up to this blogger’s blog.

And now I can be sighted, here and there, lost, with a notepad in the crook of my arms and a pencil dangling between forefinger and thumb.

Sometimes….. a piece of graphite and a scrap of paper are all that you need …. .

1 comment:

  1. well all u need is the talent to write and express urself and that u have kiddo !!!

    ReplyDelete